Monday, April 11, 2011

BYU Brownies - Easter'd Up


We've started making Easter goodies at our house (can you tell???). Any excuse for us to bake and I'm in! But it was Spring Break two weeks ago so my daughter wanted to help me do some baking. My son wanted to help "kind of" he said. But not if it interfered with his Wii playing =o)

Our Second Easter yummy we made was BYU Brownies but we "Easter'd" them up a little. I first found the recipe for BYU Brownies over on The Country Girl Chronicles. I love a good brownie and add mint and frosting? I'm all over it!

Recipe

Brownies
* 1 c. butter, melted
* 2/3 c. cocoa powder
* 2 c. sugar
* 1 1/2 c. flour
* 4 eggs

Mix butter, cocoa and sugar. Add eggs, beating well after each one. Stir in flour. Spread in greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool.


Mint Layer
* 1/2 c. butter, softened
* 2 c. powdered sugar
* 1-3 Tbsp. milk
* 1/2 tsp. mint extract (I used peppermint)
* 4 drops food coloring (I used red)

Mix butter and powdered sugar. Add extract and food coloring. Use milk to smooth out frosting until you reach desired consistency. You want the frosting to be pretty thick!

Spread over cool brownies and refrigerate until firm.

Chocolate Topping
* 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips (I used a combo of semi sweet and milk chocolate)
* 1/2 c. butter

Combine butter and chocolate chips in a saucepan and melt over low heat. Have a little helper help you =o)

Pour over mint layer and refrigerate until firm.

When the chocolate was still warm we topped our with these babies.

I saw them at Target and, of course, I had to buy them. So festive I thought. (Plus they taste yummy!)

Here's a close up just in case you didn't get a good look at these.

I immediately put half of them in the freezer after I took the first bite. I knew I would eat them all if I didn't. And good thing, I've eaten way too many of them but they are so darn good. I can't stop!



I'm linking to the linky parties on my sidebar!

Labels: , , , ,

38 Comments:

At April 11, 2011 at 6:49 AM , Blogger phasejumper said...

These sound really good! The festive toppers are super cute!

 
At April 11, 2011 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Manu said...

yummmmmmmm
looks very festive!
your daughter is a great cook! ;)
have a nice week!

 
At April 11, 2011 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Beloved Green said...

The thing I enjoy the most about Easter baking is that all the fun colors and adornments come out in baking. It makes me feel like spring is finally here!

 
At April 11, 2011 at 8:33 AM , Blogger Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

Oh those look so yummy!!!! (and very festive)

 
At April 11, 2011 at 9:46 AM , Blogger K said...

Hey there! I didn't see a place to email you but I may of just missed it. I wanted to let you know that you've been awarded the Stylish Blogger Award. Hope you'll stop by and claim your award by leaving a comment! Thanks so much.

http://impatientlywishingonastar.blogspot.com/

 
At April 11, 2011 at 10:06 AM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

OHMYGOODNESS!! These are soo colorful and inviting! So easy too - thanks much for sharing. These are going in my 'to try' file....

 
At April 11, 2011 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yummy!! And they look caaaute too! :)

 
At April 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM , Blogger Sue said...

I love the pink mint frosting and the pretties on top:) Your kids are always such great helpers!

 
At April 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Kate H.(www.sprinkletherapy.blogspot.com) said...

Those are so cute and sound so tasty. I, also picked up those cute little mini toppers!

 
At April 11, 2011 at 11:32 AM , Blogger The Harried Cook said...

Ok, I had never heard of BYU brownies before this (is that shocking?), but how could you go wrong with a mint and chocolate combination!

your version is really pretty and you have the cutest helper! Thanks for sharing :)

 
At April 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Tiffanee said...

I love these brownies. I also love how you have colored them Spring!!

 
At April 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm Looks great! What does the BYU stand for?
thanks for stopping by my blog today!

 
At April 11, 2011 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Kyla Armstrong said...

So festive and cute! They also sound yummy!

 
At April 11, 2011 at 7:57 PM , Blogger Trisha said...

Lovely spring feel to the brownies Erin! I'm sure they were scrumptious!!!

 
At April 11, 2011 at 9:58 PM , Blogger cocoa and coconut said...

Good to see some Easter creations! These are so bright and pretty!

 
At April 12, 2011 at 12:21 AM , Blogger grace said...

i made a batch of these at work the other day, and i made the filling pale purple. that's spring-y, right? my boss disagreed and turned up her nose, but the patrons loved 'em! :)

 
At April 12, 2011 at 4:51 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

Oh you have SO got me craving brownies with these! Love the easter spirit!

 
At April 12, 2011 at 7:57 AM , Blogger MoodyMoments said...

I'm just LOVING your blog! Thanks to http://www.delightfulcountrycookin.com/ I found you and now subscribe! Awesome and cute ideas! Although my babies aren't babies anymore, I still love do whip up cute things for them!

 
At April 12, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Blogger Kristen said...

What a cute Easter/Spring version. I love the decorations on top. I am hitting myself on the head wondering why I never thought to color the mint frosting anything but green.

 
At April 12, 2011 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Renée said...

These toppers are new to me. Thanks! You make the cutest treats with your kids.

 
At April 12, 2011 at 11:11 AM , Anonymous lauren said...

Those look so yummy and festive.

 
At April 12, 2011 at 12:43 PM , Anonymous Le said...

Oh wow these look great! It makes me want to be a kid again :)

Thanks for the add on foodbuzz :)

 
At April 12, 2011 at 1:33 PM , Anonymous ann@Apples and Twinkies said...

Love brownies! These look wonderful. I never saw those toppers before-cool!

 
At April 12, 2011 at 3:43 PM , Blogger The Chocolate Priestess said...

Three layers, nice! They did a good job.

 
At April 12, 2011 at 9:31 PM , Anonymous A little bit of everything said...

your daughter is so adorable. she's going to be a great baker.

the brownies look great. love the little colorful chips. so cute

 
At April 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Love your Easter twist on these brownies. They look so spring-y.

 
At April 12, 2011 at 10:10 PM , Blogger Jodie said...

Looks delicious! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!

Warm Wishes,
Jodie

http://lovelaughteranddecor.blogspot.com/

 
At April 13, 2011 at 5:38 AM , Blogger cookies and cups said...

these look so yummy!! love the cute easter sprinkles :)

 
At April 13, 2011 at 6:41 AM , Blogger Brandy J. said...

Those look pretty amazing! Thanks for the recipe.

 
At April 13, 2011 at 7:26 AM , Blogger Katerina said...

With such a little chef helping you how can they not be awesome?

 
At April 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM , Blogger Lee said...

These look yummy. I've always wanted to make brownies from scratch. I don't know about the mint, but we'll be trying the brownies.

 
At April 13, 2011 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Harvesting for Life said...

I remember years and years ago my dad making a similar recipe for St. Patty's day with the mint layer a nice green. I can see these being a huge hit in just about any pastel for Easter! Love it!

 
At April 15, 2011 at 12:27 PM , Blogger country girl chronicles said...

So flattered to see a post referenced on your blog! And why didn't I think to give these brownies an Easter twist? Hello!! They look delicious. Yum.

 
At April 15, 2011 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Leda said...

OK, so are these theee REAL BUY Brownies!!?? I grew up in Provo, and had these whenever we were lucky enough to talk my mom into buying them!

Love your blog, very cute.

 
At April 15, 2011 at 2:50 PM , Blogger briarrose said...

Eheheheh....as long as it didn't interfere with his Wii playing. Awesome brownies. The Easter color are just adorable.

 
At April 16, 2011 at 8:25 PM , Blogger Katie said...

They look yummy, I love how you added a bit of Easter to a family favorite. The pastel colors are really pretty.

 
At April 16, 2011 at 8:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these! Such pretty brownies, and delicious, I'm sure!

I'd love for you to pop by and link these up to my So Sweet Sunday party! :)

morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

 
At December 24, 2011 at 4:52 PM , Blogger M said...

Hi! Just stopping by to let you know that I featured this recipe on my blog this week. Merry Christmas!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home