Monday, July 4, 2011

Corn Dog Cookies


Happy 4th of July everyone! What are you doing tonight? I'm going to hope I don't fry my eyebrows while I watch the amazed looks on my kids face as the fireworks go off. They love fireworks. Well, not the loud ones. =o)

When I saw these adorable Corn Dog Cookies over on Sue's blog, Munchkin Munchies, I knew my kids would freak if I made them. I was right! They loved them!!! Ours didn't turn out nearly as cute as Sue's but my kids don't know that. =o)

Awhile back I made Sue's No Fail Sugar Cookie Dough and now that is my go to sugar cookie recipe I use I absolutely love it. (Another big thank you, Sue!)

Ingredients:
* 6 cups flour
* 3 tsp. baking powder
* 2 cups butter
* 2 cups sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 tsp. vanilla
* 1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients together and add to butter mixture. Mix well.

Roll to desired thickness. (I made mine really thick so I could put a stick in them.) Cut out. I made big circles because that was the cookie cutter I had and then shaped them like a corn dog.

Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 8 - 10 minutes. (If they are thick they will take a little longer. Make sure you check on them often so you don't overcook them.)

Let cool.

Royal Icing
* 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
* 3 Tbsp. Meringue powder
* 6 Tbsp. warm water
* food coloring

Beat 4-5 minutes until smooth. Little helpers are great at this job!


I'm not totally sure what the exact color of corn dogs are, but I used brown and added a little red and orange.
(My daughter made her own color of frosting and decorated some cookies for her and her friends. It was a hoot. About half way through she looked up and me and said "Mom, I'm a frosting disaster." I cracked up!

Frost your cookies and let them sit overnight to dry. The add "mustard" or ketchup". =o)


We wrapped some up in cookie bags and tied them with red, white and blue ribbon and gave them to some friends. How fun!

Enjoy!



I'm linking to the linky parties on my sidebar.

Labels: , ,

28 Comments:

At July 4, 2011 at 7:18 AM , Blogger Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

I love these!! These are so cute and perfect for the holiday, hope you enjoy the 4th of July! :)

 
At July 4, 2011 at 9:22 AM , Blogger La said...

You always come up with the most creative treats. These are adorable.

I am hosting an ice cream social on July 17, National Ice Cream Day. I hope you will join me.

Happy 4th of July! La

 
At July 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I jus loved these over at Sue's :) You did a terrific job with them!!

 
At July 4, 2011 at 12:28 PM , Blogger Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Adorable! You are so creative. Your daughter is one lucky girl! :)

 
At July 4, 2011 at 12:41 PM , Anonymous Amie said...

i can't wait to make these! thanks for sharing.

 
At July 4, 2011 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

These are so fun and cute!

 
At July 5, 2011 at 3:42 AM , Blogger The Harried Cook said...

Those are really cute, Erin! You have done a great job with these... Thanks for sharing!

 
At July 5, 2011 at 7:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
I think you are an amazing Mom! Keep on rocking! I hope you have a super fantastic summer!
take care,
Lisa

 
At July 5, 2011 at 8:35 AM , Anonymous Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

The cutest cookies ever and perfect for summer get togethers. Putting them in little bags really dresses them up.

 
At July 5, 2011 at 3:17 PM , Blogger cookieandclaire said...

This is so cute! Something for my next bbq! I am following your from Marvelously messy. I would love a "follow back" if you have time!
Thanks for making me hungry!
Come see me at www.cookieandclaire.blogspto.com

 
At July 5, 2011 at 3:33 PM , Anonymous Shilpa said...

How different....I love the idea.,,,if I am brave enough, I will give this a go...I am rubbish at being innovative and creative....

-Shilpa

 
At July 5, 2011 at 3:36 PM , Anonymous Life of a Foodie and Her Family said...

OMG! Those are adorable!!!!!

 
At July 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

these are a hoot!

New blog follower! Come follow back and enter my great giveaways! http://www.peacelovepoop.com

 
At July 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM , Blogger Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

What a great idea. Thank you for linking up at http://diyhshp.blogspot.com I can not wait to see more great ideas next Monday.

 
At July 5, 2011 at 5:45 PM , Blogger Tiffanee said...

Darling! How cute and delicious!

 
At July 6, 2011 at 12:27 PM , Blogger annies home said...

these are so cute and fun perfect for fair day come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

 
At July 6, 2011 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

These are great! You always find the cutest things to make:) Your daughter is so cute. Someday she will be an excellent baker and cook with all of the great training you are giving her.

 
At July 7, 2011 at 1:26 PM , Blogger Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

haha cute idea

 
At July 8, 2011 at 5:14 PM , Anonymous JamieAnne said...

So cute!

 
At July 9, 2011 at 8:19 AM , Blogger Becca Ross said...

Super cute! This is a great project to do with your kids! I'd love it if you'd link this up to my Home and Family Friday linky party.

becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

I also write a literacy blog you might be interested in.

lovelaughterandliteracy.blogspot.com

Becca

 
At July 9, 2011 at 2:49 PM , Blogger Harvesting for Life said...

Those are SO cute! Such a fabulous idea!

 
At July 9, 2011 at 7:36 PM , Blogger Miz Helen said...

Your little one is just precious. You are making such wonderful memories. These are the most adorable cookies. They are really creative and look very good. Great idea! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and sure hope to see you again real soon!
Miz Helen

 
At July 9, 2011 at 10:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

They are soooo cute!

 
At July 10, 2011 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I featured you today!!

http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/07/foodie-fridayerrrsunday.html

 
At July 11, 2011 at 1:28 PM , Blogger briarrose said...

Adorable and so fun to make.

 
At July 15, 2011 at 12:06 AM , Blogger Sue said...

So glad your kids had fun with them! They look great, Erin! Love the ketchup too:)

 
At July 21, 2011 at 10:21 AM , Anonymous Dave at eRecipecards.com said...

Your site is so filled with great ideas. Sadly, my kids are grown and I do not have many memories of us in the kitchen. But now I am a food hobbiest (Year on the grill is my blog) who is also wacky Uncle dave who always cooks with the growing number of nieces and nephews. I am always on the lookout for new ideas.

i am politely asking, would you mind sharing your ideas on

http://erecipecards.com/

We are working on a page with end of summer ideas for families to spend time with kids before they head off to school. A "Top"ten posting of your best would be a tremendous addition.

Thanks for considering. The postings would link directly to your blog, adding new interest and new readers (possibly like myself, new followers). But also give us some new ideas

Dave

 
At August 19, 2011 at 1:28 PM , Blogger Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Thank you so much for submitting! Everything came out fantastic! Please consider posting mor of your back stock and of course making us a habit anytime you post something new

Dave!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home